Teaching and Public Speaking CV
TEACHING EXPERIENCE WITH SCHOOL BOARDS
Art Instructor, Forest for the Trees, Coast Salish Contemporary, Sturctures & Cities, Tantalizaing Tesselations and Coastal Waters Outreach Worshops presented in Lower Mainland Schools for The Burnaby Art Gallery, Fall, Winter, 2022-23.
Artist in Residence (Contracts) AIRS Program, Vancouver School Board & ArtStarts, 2007 - Present. Design and deliver art workshops in printmaking, papermaking and paper quilting in collaboration with teachers and the curriculum. 2022-23 AIR Full School Year with Tecumseh Elementary and Chief Maquinna Elementary. 2023-24, Full School Year with Chief Maquinna.
*Butterflies, Kindergarten, Maquinna and Tecumseh Elementary, 2023
* Community" Grades 1 & 2, Maquinna and Tecumseh Elementary, 2023
*Botantical Illustration with Indigenous Plants, Grades 4, 5 & 6, Tecumseh Elementary, 2023
*Identity: Creating a Coat of Arms, Grades 6 & 7, Tecumseh, Fall 2022, Maquinna Spring 2023
*BioDiversity with an Indigenous Lens, Grades 3, 4 & 5, Maquinna Elementary, Fall, 2022
*BioDiversity & Living Roofs, Grades 3 & 4, Tecumseh Elementary, April-June 2022
*Birds, Kindergarden + Grades 1 & 2, Tecumseh Elementary March - April 2022
*Climate Change: Water Security, Grades 4 & 5s, Tecumseh Elementary, Feb-March 2022
*Climate Change: Pine Beetle Infestation, Grades 5 & 6, Tecumseh Elementary, Jan - Feb 2022
* Exploring Ancient Egyptian Art, Grades 5, 6 & 7, Tecumseh Elementary, October-Dec 2021.
* Magic of Geometry & the Community of Quiltmaking, Grades 1-3, Tecumseh Elementary, Apr - May 2021.
* Celebrating Multiculturalism through Quiltmaking, Grade 4 (2 classes), Tecumseh Elementary, Feb-Mar 2021.
* Exploring Truth & Reconciliation through Quiltmaking, Grades 5-7, Tecumseh Elementary, January - Feb 2021.
* Exploring Victoria Fraserview Neighborhood and Heritage with Print & Bookmaking Techniques, Grades 5 & 6, (3 divisions), January- March 2020.
* Exploring Metamorphosis with Butterflies & Prints, Queen Alexandra FAMILY School, Kindergarten, 1 & 2, May-June 2018.
* Exploring Biodiversity with Printmaking, Queen Alexandra FAMILY School, Grades 2-5, April 2018.
* Exploring Patterns through Printmaking, Queen Alexandra FAMILY School, Grades 5, 6 & 7, Jan-March 2018.
* Exploring Sustainability & Papermaking, , John Oliver Secondary Grades 9 & 10, May 2017.
* Exploring The Repeatable Image with Pronto Plate Lithography, Kitsilano Secondary School, Grades 9, 11 & 12, Feb-March 2017.
* Exploring the Mandela with Drypoints, Britannia Secondary School, Grades 9, 10, 11 & 12 April-May 2016.
* Exploring Textures in Printmaking, Elsie Roy Elementary, Grades 4 & 5, March-April, 2016.
* Exploring the Mandela with Drypoints , Kitsilano Secondary School, Grades 9 (2 classes), Jan- Feb 2016.
* Exploring our Environment in Printmaking, Maple Grove Elementary, Grades 1,2 & 3, April 2016.
* Building Stories with Printmaking, Dr. George Weir Elementary, Grades 2 & 3, Jan- February 2016.
* Exploring Canadian Wildlife in Printmaking, Maple Grove Elementary, Grades 1,2 & 3, April 2015.
* Introducing Printmaking, Kitsilano Secondary School, Grades 10, 11 & 12, April, May 2015.
* Introducing Printmaking, Magee Secondary (2 classes), Grades 9, 10, 11 & 12 April 2015.
* Incorporating Inspirational text in Quiltmaking with Paper, Prince of Wales Secondary, Grades 10 & 11, 2014.
* Self Portraits using Pronto Plates and Screens, Sir Charles Tupper Secondary, (Grades 10-12), 2013.
* Exploring The Repeatable (but not repeated) Image with Pronto Plate Lithography, Sir Winston Churchill Secondary, (Grades 9 & 10), Jan-Feb 2013.
* Exploring Canadian Animals with Monotypes, Champlain Heights, (Grade 2), Jan - Feb 2013.
* Exploring Monotype & Pronto Plate Printing, Magee Secondary School, (Grade 11 & 9), April - May 2012.
* Music Poster Design & Screen Printing, Point Grey Secondary, (Grade 11), March-May 2012.
* Exploring Textures with Collagraphs, Winston Churchill Secondary, (Grade 11 & 12), January-February 2012.
* Exploring Weather with Monotypes, Quilchena Elementary School, (Grade 2 & 3) February 2011.
* Screen Printing and Poster Design, Lord Byng Secondary School,(Grade 11&12), April 2011.
* Relief Printmaking, Kitsilano High School, (Grade 9), May 2010.
* Olympic Visuals (Relief and Monotypes), Admiral Seymour, (Grade 4 &5) & Sir Guy Carleton Elementary School, (Grade 2 & 3), Jan-Feb 2010.
* Printmaking Techniques with Still Life, Lord Byng Secondary School, (Grade 9), May-June 2009.
* Printmaking and the Seasons, Trudeau Elementary School, (Grade 3 & 4), Feb, 2009.
* Lithography with the Figure, King George Secondary, (Grade 11 &12), Oct-Nov 2008.
* Serigraphy in Fashion, Roberts Education Centre, (Grade 11 &12), May - June 2008.
* Who I Am: Exploring Identity in Quiltmaking, Maywood Community School Grade 6 &7, plus Morley Elementary School, (Grade 5 & 6) Burnaby (with Metropolis & ArtStarts), Burnaby, Spring, 2007.
* Professional Doodles & Printmaking, West Point Grey Academy,. Grade 12 Legacy Project, May 2004.
OTHER WORKSHOPS FOR CHILDREN & FAMILIES
- ARTS CONNECT Ages 4-9 classes, Burnaby Art Gallery, Fall 2022.Winter & Fall 2023.
- BAG on a Bike Instructor, (Intergenerational), (Travelling to Festivals), Burnaby Art Gallery, Summer 2022 and 2023.
- Pop-Up Workshops, Street Printing, (Intergenerational), Craft Council of British Columbia, (Canada Day) and Downtown Vancouver, (August) 2019.
- Workshop Leader, Draw by Afternoon Light, (Intergenerational), Grimsby Public Art Gallery, March 2019.
- Instructor, Introducing Printmaking, Place des Arts, (March Break Camps) Ages 5-12, March 2018.
- Workshop Leader, Patterns & Monoprinting, Place des Arts Artist in Residence, Coquitlam, BC (11 elementary schools), 2017.
- Supersunday Animateur , Vancouver Art Gallery, Vancouver, BC. (Help formulate and present intergeneration, culturally enriched family friendly programs for every exhibition). 2007 - 2009.
- Gallery Instructor & Paper Quilt Workshop Leader Sewn Stories, (8 elementary school classes), Evergreen Cultural Centre, Coquitlam, BC, 2008.
- Gallery Theme Tours with Follow-up in-class art activities Bedtime Stories, False Creek Elementary, Vancouver, (2 Kindergarten and Grade 7 classes, plus Grade 3 & 4), 2004.
- Coordinator of Volunteers, Displays and Demonstrations (Contract), The Vancouver Art Gallery, Vancouver, Chagall Storyteller Exhibition, 2003 - 2004.
- Rembrandt: Master Printmaker and Prints and Drawings of the Weimar Period, 2001.
- Course Writer & Instructor, Children Art Courses (Ages 5-12), Riley Park Community Centre , 2002-03.
- Workshop Leader, Introducing Printmaking, The Humberview School, (Grade 8,9,11,12) Bolton, ON, 1989.
- Gallery Docent & Studio Instructor (Volunteer) Agnes Etherington Art Centre, Kingston, ON. (Studio and Gallery Instruction to school children Grade 1 – 13). 1983-1986.
ARTIST TALKS & WORKSHOPS FOR ADULTS
- Pronto Plate Lithography, Dundarave Print Shop, March 5-26, 2024, 6-9 PM
- Introduction to Relief Printmaking, Dundarave Print Shop, October 3-24, 2023, 6-9 PM
- Artist Talk (Zoom) TALKING ART / Histories in the Making: FROM Research to Artwork, with Monique Motut-Firth & Mia Weinberg, Eastside Arts Society, Nov 9, 2021.
- Artist Talk on Travel Stories & Mini Workshop creating lithographic postcards using archival images from Grimsby Historial Society archives, Grimsby Public Art Gallery, March 2019.
- Artist Talk & Tea, Travel Stories, Burnaby Art Gallery, Burnaby, BC, January 28, 2018.Workshop Leader, Printed Stories, Burnaby Art Gallery, Burnaby, BC, February 25, 2018.
- Workshop Leader, Transferring Everyday Objects into Art: For Teachers, Dasmesh Punjabi School, Abbotsford, BC & Artstarts In School Showcase, Vancouver, BC, February 2015.
- Workshop Co-Leader, “Alternative Drawing Techniques for Printmaking”, Burnaby Art Gallery, Burnaby, BC, Sept 2014.
- Panel Participant, Craft and Our Community, Sponsored by The Craft Council of BC, Alice MacKay Room, Central Library, Vancouver, June 13th, 2013.
- Panel Participant Cultural Capital Network, Museum of Vancouver, BC (Bursary awarded by City of Vancouver and Vancity to attend Creative Places + Spaces Conference, Toronto, ON which inspired the address and discussion) 2009.
- Artist Talk & Tea, Sewn Stories, Evergreen Cultural Centre, Coquitlam, BC, May 2008.Printmaking Technician Two Worlds One Voice with Tania Willard and 9 First Nations Young Artists , Gallery Gachet & Malaspina Printmakers Society, Vancouver, BC, 2006.
- Writer & Instructor Colour Relief, Stone & Pronto Plate Lithography, Malaspina Printmakers Society, 2002-2012.
- Artist Talk on Road Stories, Campbell River Art Gallery, Campbell River, BC, 2001.
- Workshop Leader, Woodcut Printmaking, Campbell River Art Gallery, Campbell River, BC, 2001.
- Artist Talk Personal Stories, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, NS, 1993.
- Workshop Leader, & Relief Printmaking, St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, NS, 1993.
- Workshop Leader, Alternative Drawing Techniques for Printmaking, St. Michael's Printshop, St. John's, NFLD 1991.
- Panel Speaker, Locating Our Voices, Mount Saint Vincent University Art Gallery, Halifax, NS.1991.